Thursday, May 1, 2014

what we're reading wednesday: miracles


I recently finished Miracles by C.S. Lewis and it was, of course, wonderful. It was a bit denser than some of his other books, with points and arguments that make you read slowly so you can really think about them. (Not like, "What was he saying? Let me go back because I didn't understand," but more like, "Wow, I never thought of that... it makes so many things make sense that now I want to stop and think about everything in this new light.") 

He starts off first by defining miracles, and what each "side" (those who believe in them and those who don't) really means, and the worldviews behind those beliefs. Then he systematically addresses the logical and philosophical errors-- mainly the errors of those who don't believe (since he obviously does), but sometimes the errors of those who do. He ends by discussing the miracles of Christ and how they relate to the "old creation" and the "new creation."

When I describe it like that-- "systematically addressing logical errors"-- it sounds as if it will be dry and boring. But Lewis is always so clear and conversational that it's less like reading a philosophical treatise, and more like having an interesting discussion with a wise friend. I highly recommend it!

Linking up with Jessica at Housewifespice!

(I swear I published this on Wednesday, but Blogger is strange sometimes.)

No comments :

Post a Comment