Tuesday, February 4, 2014

let me explain

Well, look at that. It's the first week of February, and like all good New Year's Resolutions, my resolution to blog three times a week has already been broken to smithereens. In my defense, things have been a little crazy around here-- first we were evicted from our house for a few days while the Navy was digging around old unexploded Japanese bombs, and then we all got the World's Meanest Cold, from which we're still recovering.

Recently, one of Jack's residency colleagues found out that she and her husband will almost definitely be stationed here on Guam starting this summer. This is exciting for us because, hey! Someone we know and like is going to join us, eight thousand miles from the rest of the people we know! But it's also exciting because we get to share all the details we've learned and tips we've discovered. (This is especially important on Guam, because this is the Land of Out-of-Date Websites and Unanswered Phones, so it's hard to find stuff out independently.) Stuff like, how to get a Guam medical license, what the local population is like as patients, what the options are for internet and phones, on-base vs. off-base housing, when you should have the military move what, etc.

And I've been pondering-- why is it so fun to share your expertise in something? I don't think it's a matter of wanting to look smart in a prideful, I-know-more-than-you way (though I'm sure sometimes that may play a part). It's just genuinely enjoyable, and I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's a universal human trait. I don't know... what do you think? Is it a drive to be helpful, or a drive to feel self-important? Or both?

No comments :

Post a Comment