Tuesday, December 31, 2013

out with the old

Faith got her first haircut today!  New year, new hair, right?

She definitely did need one.  For one thing, her hair was all different lengths-- it was above chin length in front and down to her shoulder blades in back, but not in a cute, rounded, on-purpose sort of way... more in a "my hair has never been cut since I was born" way.  Which was, in fact, the case.  And combing it was turning into a twice-daily battle involving screaming, writhing, and tears (mostly on Faith's part).

I was unreservedly leery, though, about how it would go. Probably most people are thinking, "What's the big deal?"  But this is the child who, at age 15 months, literally screamed through her entire pediatrician checkup-- including the parts where the doctor wasn't touching her, looking at her, or interacting with her in any way. (Her stamina was impressive.) This is the child who, after going to the same daycare 3 times a week for 4 months, is only just starting to whisper "yes" and "no" in response to her teachers' questions.  Faith isn't what you'd call "mellow" or "open to new experiences."

So we've been rehearsing. A few days ago I started telling her, "Faith! Soon we're going to get your hair trimmed!" (I read a tip online noting that talking about getting a haircut might scare toddlers.)  "You're going to sit in a big chair that spins!  And wear a special cape!  And then Jennifer [the kid salon owner] will take scissors and trim your hair, snip snip! And it won't hurt!  It'll just tickle!" (And yes, I do speak with an exclamation point after every sentence when I'm trying to make something sound enticing to her.)

This morning, she could recite it along with me.  "You're going to sit in a big...?" "Chay-oh!!!"  (It did come to light at this point that when I said she'd wear a special cape, she thought I said a special cake. This misunderstanding was swiftly remedied.  She was somewhat disappointed, though I'm still a bit mystified by her ready acceptance of the idea of wearing a special cake.)

And then it was time for the moment of truth!!

The classic "before" shot.

Aaaaand it was a total disaster.  Yeah, she cried loudly and kicked and flailed throughout, with big tears rolling down her cheeks, despite my (completely ineffective) attempts to pacify her with cell phone YouTube clips of Yo Gabba Gabba.  The place was really cute, too-- the chairs were all shapes like cars and airplanes and it was very kid-friendly.  I would've taken a picture, but I was kind of distracted. By, y'know, the screaming.

If I let myself, I would get super frustrated with Faith in situations like these. I do everything right! We prepare and practice and rehearse, and research the places beforehand, and use only positive and encouraging words and relentlessly enthusiastic tones, and and and!!  WHY DOES MY KID NOT COOPERATE AND RESPOND THE WAY THE ARTICLES SAY SHE WILL?!

But you know what?  She's Faith.  She is who she is. She's feisty and shy and funny and sweet and smart and she just takes her time in new situations. Lots of time, sometimes. But she comes around eventually. I can't change her, and you know what? I wouldn't want to.

(Her hair did turn out ridiculously cute, though.)


(Sorry for the blur. She never sits still, this one.)




No comments :

Post a Comment