Monday, January 13, 2014

book list for 2014

Re-posting in order to join Haley's linkup!


Here follows, in no particular order, the books I intend to read in the coming year:


The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart


Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (already started)


Miracles by C.S. Lewis (already started)


The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith


Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett


The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan.  Ordered this by accident via Kindle after reading a review... meant to add it to my wish list but hit "one click order" by mistake... so might as well read it!  (Hey, at least the review was good.)


Small Steps for Catholic Moms:  Your Daily Call to Think, Pray, and Act by Danielle Bean


Style, Sex, and Substance:  10 Catholic Women Consider the Things that Really Matter by Hallie Lord


The Tipping Point:  How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell.  I read another book of his, Blink, in 2013 and loved it!


Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi (on pre-order, comes out this month).  I'm also planning on re-reading the first two books of the trilogy before it comes out.


Something Other Than God:  How I Passionately Sought Happiness and Accidentally Found It by Jennifer Fulwiler (on pre-order, comes out in April)


Watership Down by Richard Adams


Simplicity Parenting:  Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids by Kim John Payne


Strange Gods:  Unmasking the Idols in Everyday Life by Elizabeth Scalia


The Creative Family:  How to Encourage Imagination and Nurture Family Connections by Amanda Blake Soule


Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain


A Book of Saints for Catholic Moms by Lisa M. Hendey


Behold Your Queen!  A Story of Esther by Gladys Malvern


Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell


To the Field of Stars:  A Pilgrim's Journey to Santiago de Compostela by Kevin A. Codd


A Hidden Magic by Vivian Vande Velde


The Heart of Motherhood: Finding Holiness in the Catholic Home by Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle


The Island of the Colorblind by Oliver Sacks


Feast!: Real Food, Reflections, and Simple Living for the Christian Year by Haley and Daniel Stewart


Pope Awesome and Other Stories by Cari Donaldson


Lady of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  (This is a novel that was given to me as a gift and has been lingering unread on my shelves for YEARS.  Time to knock it out.)


The Maze Runner by James Dashner


The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman


The Catechism of the Catholic Church (I'm doing that "Read the Catechism in a Year" via email thing.  It started in December, so if you'd like to join in, there's not TOO much catching up to do!)

That's an average of about one book every two weeks (not counting the Catechism).  Think I can do it?

2 comments :

  1. Wow, that is a lot of reading. When I was a kid I used to gobble books, but that was before, you know, being an adult with a job and husband :) I'm impressed that you can manage! Watership Down is one you should definitely make time for. I got some cool ideas from this list too - the covers on The Mysterious Benedict Society and A Hidden Magic are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would warn you against the Lady of Avalon. I am pretty sure that is the same book I read several years back because someone told me it was good, it is not! Evilness and incest that is all I am going to say. Everything else on the list looks great, I may take a couple ideas from you. I found you through Haley's link up.

    ReplyDelete