Monday, August 12, 2013

inside, outside

One of Faith's favorite requests is to go outside. Except usually she asks to "go in outside."  She gets a little confused with prepositions/adjectives and their opposites... she'll often say "need door open" when she means "closed," "need light off" when she means "on," etc.  It can get a bit confusing.

And in fact, thinking back, I might have accidentally lied on her 30-month Ages & Stages questionnaire, when it asked something about your toddler knowing the difference between "on," "under," "around," and the like. I was all "oh yeah, she's totally got that."  Oops.

Yesterday we worked on knowing the difference between "inside" and "outside."  Faith would step out onto our hotel balcony and I would follow her, and we'd both exclaim "Outside!!"  Then we both stepped back through the doorway and said "Inside!!" just as excitedly. We did this approximately four hundred times. The hotel housekeeper was there at the time, too, and I'm pretty sure she thought there was something wrong with me.

But this was not the end of the balcony adventures. Jack and I were reading or something, and Faith was playing with her toys and going in and out onto the balcony, doing her incomprehensible "I'm a 2-year-old and my games make no sense" thing.



OR SO WE THOUGHT.

It turns out that the best game ever? Is dropping things over the edge of the balcony.


Her shoes, my shoes, her toys, whatever.

Jack went out to retrieve our belongings (of course our balcony is the maximum possible distance from the hotel entrance, just to add to the fun). I was standing on the balcony, trying not to laugh, with Faith who obviously still thought this was the best ever and hugely successful.

Rearranging my face into what I hoped was a stern expression, I told her, "No, Faithy. You can't throw things over the edge. That's very naughty."

She looked at me for a second, then covered her face with her hands (clearly realizing the depth of her transgression for the first time). I wasn't going to say anything more about it, but Faith apparently thought more reparation was necessary.  So she trudged inside, dragged a chair into the corner, and put herself in time-out.


Omg, how cute is she?!




No comments :

Post a Comment